I've been testing out yogurt mask concoctions for a few weeks now and can report back with an honest recommendation that this truly works for inflamed, red, rashy skin! This is especially amazing for people with rosacea, acne, eczema, sunburns, dermatitis, and psoriasis.
Food, inside and out, is so powerful and active in healing many beauty issues. In my personal case (battling Perioral Dermatitis), using any over the counter products would only irritate my skin further. The combination of yogurt and turmeric mask was the only remedy that truly felt and looked healing with instant results. So why does this combination work?
Yogurt: Naturally occurring lactic acid, probiotics, and zinc. Probiotic cultures heal and act as a barrier to whatever is causing the redness and creating good bacteria on the skin, similar to what they do in your gut! Zinc is a natural antibacterial and antifungal element that cures the redness. Finally, the lactic acid exfoliates and brightens the skin.
Turmeric: One of the main spices in curry, turmeric is boasting with antimicrobial and and anti inflammatory properties when taken orally and used topically on the skin. It too reduces redness from rashes, rosacea, acne and heals the skin from acne scars, burns, and environmental damage.
When testing my yogurt mask, it wasn't near as effective when used alone (or as colorful!) so turmeric really does activate this DIY mask to make it more powerful and effective.
- Full Fat Plain Yogurt. I used Fage. Anything else I tried didn't seem strong enough and actually caused more irritation.
- Turmeric Powder. I used turmeric powder from the spice isle.
- Take one cup of chilled yogurt (the chilling effect feels so nice on inflamed skin!) and add one tsp of turmeric powder.
- Mix well.
- Apply all over face or effective areas on skin 1-2x daily for 30 minutes with a fan brush.
- Rinse off with cold water only (a lot of washes are very irritating, hence rash not subsiding).
- Apply a restorative type cream on clean skin for continued care until rash fades.
- Repeat daily for 2 weeks for best results!