Coconut Turmeric Kale Salad
Post 4th holiday, feeling completely out of whack from too much of everything, I am embarking on a clean food cleanse. No <added> sugar, no dairy, no saturated fats, no gluten doesn't have to mean no fun and I've really started to perfect what it is that will make my (bipolar) taste buds happy, my stomach full, and my energy high when doing such a cleanse. The secret is balancing protein with high fiber, with flavor and this salad does the trick. I served it to a friend the other night and she couldn't get over how tasty it was so thought to share with you in the event you are in a salad slump.
*Where possible, always buy organic! Toxicity from pesticides and hormones basically counteracts the pretty healthy meal you just made, so you are better off with a cheeseburger and fries. Or so I tell myself...
Get the latest posts straight to your inbox:
- 2 chicken breasts cut into small pieces
- 4 leaves of Lacinito kale - destemmed and cut into ribbons
- 1 Avocado - sliced
- 1 cucumber - julienned
- Red cabbage cut into ribbons
- 1 cup cilantro destemmed
- Quinoa - I chose red for color variation - food has to be pretty!
- Coconut oil (unrefined) 1/2 cup
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- Himalayan sea salt to taste
- As chicken is cooking in 2 tbsp coconut oil on low, once partially "done" add turmeric and salt to taste. Chicken should turn a vibrant orange yellow color. Also once partially cooked, pour rest of coconut oil on chicken and let simmer. Will create a tasty curry like concoction without the fat!
- Prepare quinoa, cook as directed and let stand to cool or serve warm.. however you prefer!
- Prep kale, cucumber, cabbage, avo while chicken is cooking
- Prep salad in layers. Kale 1st, cabbage 2nd, cucumber 3rd.
- Add a scoop of quinoa, arrange chicken around bowl as pictured above.
- Add avocado, cilantro, and pour coconut oil concoction left over from chicken onto salad.. top with cilantro and a dash of crunchy Himalayan sea salt.
- Devour...have seconds, but remember everything in moderation.