MM's Turkey Meatballs & Spghetti Squash
For between holidays, when I need a hearty fix, but don't want the heavy - turkey meatballs with Spaghetti Squash is the perfect meal. It's easy to make, and you don't even miss the "carbs". Spaghetti squash is magic like that and totally impresses people who don't know what it is (read: boys, friends who don't cook, grandparents). To complete the meal add a veggie side (spinach or kale does the trick) and wine, of course. The below recipe feeds 2 with leftovers, or 4 people.
- 1 Spaghetti Squash (surprisingly makes for leftovers as well!)
- 1 lb Ground Turkey Burger
- Olive Oil
- 6 Medium Sized Tomatoes
- 1 Garlic Clove
- Basil Leaves
- 1/2 onion
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 jalapeño if you like things spicy!
Get the latest posts straight to your inbox:
- Preheat oven to 350. Roast squash for 40+ minutes until tender. Cut in half and let cool.
- While squash is roasting - add turkey meatball to bowl, a pink of salt, and chopped basil. Roll into hand sized balls, add to shallow oven top dish or pan. Cook on medium, once browned, turn to uncooked side. Cook on medium for 20 minutes until fully cooked.
- In a blender of Vitamix - add 6 tomatoes, half onion, the *jalapeño rest of basil, a drizzle of olive oil and 1 clove of garlic. Blend until smooth or chunky - however you prefer!
- Add sauce and freshly cut mushrooms to turkey meatballs once browned, let simmer and cook the duration.
- Take a fork, and fork out the spaghetti squash noodles literally until squash cavity removed. This is the "spaghetti" part. Drain.
- In a serving bowl, add squash, place turkey meatballs, tomato sauce.
- Place a little fresh basil on top of dish to make it pretty.